- The rainbow represents the colours of the Republic of Mauritius and the unity which binds our pluricultural society.
- Le Morne Mountain is evocative of the shelter of the black slaves and the birth place of the Sega.
- The Blue Marlin relates to the life of the fisherman and deep sea fishing sport, which has made Black River popular around the world.
- The stag is suggestive of the intense deer rearing activity in the region as well as the interest to safeguard wildlife.
- The tree symbolizes the green forests of the Black River Gorges, the countryside and agriculture.